Thursday, November 11, 2010

Penne Fume

Hello All! I'm Ardent Tart, a nickname that my husband picked out for me based on my...ahem...fiery disposition and my weird obsession with making pies and tarts. (Seriously...if I can put it in a pie shell, I will try it) I promise to regal you with the misadventures in baking soon, but I figured I would start with one of my regular old stand-byes.

My Mom has been making this pasta dish for years, and it is amazing. Guaranteed to make you heart ache from the richness, but so worth it. I recommend no more than once a month, and preferably as the end of a week so you don't have think about how many point you've already spent during the week. I've made a few modifications based on what I think is better and my personal preference for super spicy food.

Without further ado, I give you....Penne Fume

1 package of bacon, chopped into bite size pieces
1 8oz container of sour cream (low-fat is okay)
2 6oz cans of tomato paste
1 half-pint of heavy whipping cream
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp of cayenne (I usually put in 2 tablespoons, but again, I like my food really spicy, you can adjust the amount up or down based on your personal preference)
Penne Noodles

Cut the bacon up before you cook it. Fry in a heavy-bottom pot until it done the way you like it, but I've found that closer to crisp works best. Drain the bacon and return to low heat. Add the tomato paste and sour cream, stiring vigorously. Stir in the heavy whipping cream and mix well. Add in the spices (you can do this in steps to make sure it doesn't get too spicy for your liking) and allow the sauce to heat up. Be careful that you don't get it too hot as it can curdle the dairy. Serve over penne noodles, and enjoy!

Later gators!
--Ardent Tart

No comments:

Post a Comment