This dish is great for evenings where you don't have a lot of time and it makes enough to have left overs or create future microwave dinners! Now, it uses ground turkey. I know...but, wipe that look of disgust off your face! It's a great, healthy alternative to ground beef, and you can't even tell it's ground turkey with everything that is in it.
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 cup of red kidney beans
- 1 (7 ounce) can of corn kernels
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cup of chunky salsa
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat up olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and start boiling water for rice in a small saucepan.
- Add ground turkey to skillet and cook until lightly browned, about 5-6 minutes. During this time, you should be able to add rice to sauce pan and cook until ready. Set rice aside if ready early.
- Once turkey is nicely browned, drain excess oil, then add the rice, beans, corn and chicken brother. Stir to combine. Cover and Simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Add salsa to turkey mixture and stir to combine. Top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese!