Sunday, January 23, 2011

Lactation Cookies

I made these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies to help increase my milk supply and they were delicious enought that even my husband snuck a few (after I reassured him that he wouldn't start lactating!).  I couldn't find Brewer's Yeast locally and it is the most important ingredient to stimulate milk supply in this recipe, but I still noticed an increase in supply thanks to the whole oats and flax seed. 
Recipe found on babycenter.com courtesy of poster "Meganesota".
Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons flax seed meal
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups oats
1 cup chocolate chips (I added closer to 1 1/2 because I love chocolate!)
2-4 tablespoons brewer's yeast

Directions:
1. Mix the flax seed meal and water and let sit for 3-5 minutes.
2. Beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar well.  Add eggs and mix well.
3. Add flax seed mix and vanilla; beat well.
4. Sift together flour, brewer's yeast, baking soda, and salt.  Add dry ingredients to butter mix.
5. Stir in oats and chips.
6. Scoop into baking sheet in tablespoon size balls.
7. Bake for 12 minutes (I found I had to bake closer to 15-18 minutes).
8. Let set for a couple minutes then remove from tray.

I stored my cookies in a ziplock freezer bag, but you can also freeze them.  This recipe makes about 4 dozen.

Enjoy!
Yankee Doodle

No comments:

Post a Comment