Thursday, June 23, 2011

Ground Turkey with Potatoes and Spring Peas

A friend of mine recently told me about a blog that I'm now in love with.  Do any of you follow skinnytaste.com??  All of their recipes are supposed to be relatively good for you and they look absolutely scrumptious.  This was the first one we tried and it was delishous!  My husband said it was a definite keeper.  We served it over white rice, but we could've made it a bit healthier using brown rice. :)  Gina posted this recipe on May 31, 2011.

Ingredients:
1 medium tomato
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup fresh cilantro (I omitted this as I don't like cilantro & it was still tastey)
20 oz lean ground turkey (we used about 1lb)
4 medium scallions, chopped
1 cup fresh peas (I used frozen from Trader Joe's)
1 potato, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
8oz can tomato sauce
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp cumin, or to taste (we omitted as my husband isn't a fan)
salt, to taste
1 bay leaf

Directions:
1. In a mini food processor or by hand, finely chop tomato, garlic, and cilantro.  I used my chopper from Pampered Chef and it was a cinch!

2. In a large skillet, brown turkey and season with salt and cumin to taste.  When meat is browned and cooked through add scallions, chopped tomato mixture, peas, potato, tomato sauce, water, cumin, salt, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until potatoes are cooked through, about 25 minutes stirring occasionally.  Add more water if needed.

3.  Remove bay leaf and serve over rice.

Enjoy!
Yankee Noodle

No comments:

Post a Comment