Monday, June 13, 2011

Baja Chicken Taco Pizza {and then some...}

I've really been wanting to utilitze my bread maker lately and what better way than to make some pizza crust dough! I have to say, this turned out awesome! I've made it by hand many times but it's never been like this.

I found this recipe CDKitchen.com but there are hundreds of similar recipes online.



Ingredients
  • 1 cup and 2 tbsp warm water
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
  • 1 tbsp pizza seasoning {not in the original recipe}

Directions
  1. Place ingredients in pan in order listed or as directed per machine instructions. Select white dough cycle.  
  2. When machine is finished, remove and form into crusts. Top with desired toppings and bake at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until crust is light brown.
Now, on to our "desired toppings." :)

I like to experiment with my homemade pizzas so this week I found the Baja Chicken Taco Pizza in my Simple & Delicious magazine. I also have to make a "regular" pizza for the hubs just in case he doesn't like my creations :) His usually includes a garlic alfredo sauce, mozzarella cheese, chicken, grilled onions and mushrooms. Topped with a little cheddar cheese.



Ingredients

  • 1 cup ranch salad dressing

  • 1/4 cup salsa

  • 1 tablespoon lime juice

  • 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro

  • 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast

  • 1 envelope taco seasoning

  • 1 prebaked 12-inch thin pizza crust {obviously, I used the homemade version above}

  • 1/2 cup chopped tomato

  • 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion

  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

  • 2 cups shredded lettuce

  • 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and thinly sliced

  • Directions
    • In a blender or food processor, combine the salad dressing, salsa, lime juice and cilantro. Cover and process on high for 1-2 minutes or until smooth; set aside. In a small bowl, combine chicken and taco seasoning; set aside.
    • Place crust on an ungreased 12-in. pizza pan. Spread salsa mixture over crust. Sprinkle with the chicken mixture, tomatoes, onion and cheese. Bake at 425° for 17-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with lettuce; top with avocado slices.
    Word to the wise... don't taste the sauce before it's cooked. It totally tastes weird and I thought I'd had a horrible recipe on my hands... it turned out SO good. Even my husband liked it and he doesn't usually care for recipes like this.

    I again paired it with chardonnay cause I had leftovers from last night. :)

    Cheers!
    ~Vino Vixen~

    No comments:

    Post a Comment