I looooove me some stuffed bell peppers! I've used this recipe a bunch of times but I do make some changes to our liking and I usually half the recipe unless I've got a bunch of people coming over. I hope you enjoy it!
|This would be more pretty with a green pepper but eh... I only had red.|
- 6 bell peppers, any color
- Salt to taste
- 1 lb venison (or other ground meat)
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cans condensed tomato soup
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cut the tops off the peppers, and remove the seeds. Cook peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes; drain. Sprinkle salt and a small amount of cheese inside each pepper, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute venison and onions for 5 minutes, or until browned. Drain off excess fat, and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the tomatoes, rice, 1/2 cup water and Worcestershire sauce. Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until rice is tender. Remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (175 degrees C). Stuff each pepper with the beef and rice mixture, and place peppers open side up in a baking dish. In a medium bowl, combine tomato soup with just enough water to make the soup a gravy consistency. Pour over the peppers. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake covered for 25 to 35 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly.
Allrecipes.com suggests pairing this with a Zinfandel but I'm not a huge fan - I like my wine more dry so a good Sauvignon Blanc sounds better to me :)