Monday, March 7, 2011

Stuffed Peppers

I looooove me some stuffed bell peppers! I've used this recipe a bunch of times but I do make some changes to our liking and I usually half the recipe unless I've got a bunch of people coming over. I hope you enjoy it!
This would be more pretty with a green pepper but eh... I only had red.

Ingredients:
  • 6 bell peppers, any color
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 lb venison (or other ground meat)
  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup uncooked rice
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 2 cans condensed tomato soup
 Directions:
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cut the tops off the peppers, and remove the seeds. Cook peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes; drain. Sprinkle salt and a small amount of cheese inside each pepper, and set aside.
  2. In a large skillet, saute venison and onions for 5 minutes, or until browned. Drain off excess fat, and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the tomatoes, rice, 1/2 cup water and Worcestershire sauce. Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until rice is tender. Remove from heat.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (175 degrees C). Stuff each pepper with the beef and rice mixture, and place peppers open side up in a baking dish. In a medium bowl, combine tomato soup with just enough water to make the soup a gravy consistency. Pour over the peppers. Top with remaining cheese.
  4. Bake covered for 25 to 35 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly.
Allrecipes.com suggests pairing this with a Zinfandel but I'm not a huge fan - I like my wine more dry so a good Sauvignon Blanc sounds better to me :)

 Cheers!
~Vino Vixen~

No comments:

Post a Comment