Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sausage & Peppers

Well hello Recipe Nest readers, it's been a while! I have to admit while I haven't been slacking in the kitchen, every time I think that I need to post our dinner my plate is half gone... oops!

There were also a couple of times where I got this new "great" recipe to try for my post, it turns out a complete flop and I don't dare share it. Haha!

So tonight we're having our easy Sausage and Peppers... no one can mess this one up! I've found various recipes for this so I don't really have anywhere to give credit to but it's definitely been a staple in my family for some time. I hope you enjoy!
Isn't that pretty??? :)

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 3-4 (mild, medium or spicy) Italian Sausages
  • 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into strips
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
  • 1 small onion, cut into strips
  • 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage to pan; cook until lightly browned, turning occasionally. Remove from pan; cool slightly. Cut sausage into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
  2. In the same pan, heat remaining tbsp olive oil and cook peppers and onion over medium heat until desired firmness (we like ours firm - about 8-10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper as desired.
  3. Add mushrooms and garlic, cook another 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add sliced sausage into the vegetable mixture and toss. 
There's so many ways to adapt this recipe to make it your own. It can be served over rice, pasta and your favorite sauce or as a stand alone meal. I've even prepared white rice and added it in on step 4 above. I've also added in a can of Hunt's diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano (or anything similar) and served over cooked spaghetti noddles. Yum!

And don't forget your favorite Vino as well! Some ideas that pair well with Italian sausage recipes are a nice Sangiovese or a Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. How's that for a wine lesson??? I'm sad to say I didn't have either on hand :(

Cheers!
~Vino Vixen~

No comments:

Post a Comment