Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pork Chops with Apples & Garlic Smashed Potatoes

I found this recipe in the January/February 2011 issue of the Food Network Magazine in the 30-minute meal section and had to try it out.  The end result was delicious, the recipe was easy to make with a baby crawling around at my feet, and it really did take only 30 minutes from prep to finished meal.  I did add in a side of frozen mixed veggies to complete the meal.  I also don't have a cast iron skillet, so I used a regular frying pan with higher sides and it still worked perfectly- I just didn't have to wipe down the pan after searing the pork chops.

Also, I had a picture of my end result, but we lost all of our photos on our computers due to a recent glitch in our back-up network drive that housed all of them.  This photo is courtesy of the Food Network site.



Ingredients:
1 pound small fingerling potatoes (I used red unpeeled potatoes)
2 cloves garlic
Kosher salt
4 1/2-inch thick boneless pork loin chops (5 oz each)
2 tsp chopped fresh sage (I used jarred sage from my spice rack)
Freshly Ground pepper
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
2 Granny Smith apples, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 cup apple cider (I didn't have cider, so I used apple cidar vinegar and added in 3 tbsp sugar to counteract the tartness and it still turned out well!)
1/4 cup buttermilk (I used skim and they were still delcious, though probably not as creamy)

Directions:
1. Put the potatoes and garlic in a saucepan, cover with cold water and season with salt.  Cover and bring to a boil, then uncover and continue cooking until tender, about 15 minutes.  Cover and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, rub both sides of the pork chops with the sage, and salt and pepper to taste.  Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high heat, then add 1 teaspoon olive oil and sear the chops until golden on both sides, about 5 minutes total.  Transfer to a plate.  Wipe out the skillet and add the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil.  Add the onion and apples and cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper and stir in the cider.

3. Return the chops to the skillet.  Cover and cook, turning once, until just cooked through, 4-5 minutes.  Drain the potatoes reserving 1/4 cup liquid.  Return the potatoes to the pan; add the buttermilk and mash, adding cooking liquid as needed.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve with the pork chops, onions, and apples.  Drizzle with pan juices.

Enjoy!
Yankee Doodle

No comments:

Post a Comment